Boyce C. CabanissShareholder
Boyce Cabaniss has specialized in legal writing for more than 20 years both at the appellate and trial court level. He has handled briefing for clients at the United States Supreme Court, the District of Columbia, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeal, United States District Courts across the country, including the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas, the Texas Supreme Court, the Austin Court of Appeals and other state appellate and district courts throughout Texas.
- Admitted to bar, 1987, Texas.
- University of Texas (B.S. in Chemistry and B.A. in History 1979, summa cum laude) Phi Beta Kappa Alpha Award
- Harvard Law School (J.D. 1986 cum laude)
Mr. Cabaniss has extensive experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in complex civil litigation with specific emphasis on the following areas of law:
- RICO and ERISA, including defending against multi-billion dollar class actions in the Enron litigation
- Federal and state employment matters including the ADA, ADEA, FMLA, FLSA, and Workers’ Compensation.
- Federal and state regulatory matters involving the Department of Labor, Department of Agriculture, Internal Revenue Service and the Texas Department of Insurance.
- Accountant and actuary malpractice cases involving $100 million plus claims against Ernst & Young, KPMG, and Arthur Andersen.
- Constitutional rights including First Amendment Religion Clause Litigation, and Fifth Amendment, Eighth Amendment and Fourteenth Amendment litigation involving the Texas Youth Commission.
- Title IX including major litigation involving the University of Texas and the University of Minnesota.
- Endangered Species Act including groundbreaking litigation involving the Edwards Aquifer.
- Eleventh Amendment, Federalism and Federal preemption including the multi-billion dollar Texas Tobacco Attorney Fee litigation.
- American Bar Association (including Appellate and Litigation Sections)
- Austin Bar Association (including Appellate and Litigation Section)
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Austin Shakespeare, President, Board of Directors (2005-Present)