Karen S. VladeckAssociate
Karen Vladeck is a litigator with a wide range of experience. A focus of her practice is the representation of corporate and university clients in the litigation of employment law matters before the EEOC, state employment agencies, and in mediation, arbitration, and state and federal court. She has significant experience defending employers against claims involving Title VII, the ADEA, the ADA, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, and the False Claims Act. She also regularly counsels clients through the onboarding, severance, and termination of employees, the development of employee handbooks and policies, drafting and negotiating non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, resolving medical and disability leave issues, and complying with state and federal wage statutes. In addition to her employment law experience, Karen has litigated a wide variety of commercial law matters across numerous industries, including hospitality, construction, fashion and luxury goods, real estate, sports, and television.
Prior to joining GDHM, Karen clerked for Chief Judge Mary Ellen Barbera of the Court of Appeals of Maryland before working as an associate at two preeminent law firms in the Washington, DC area, where she was twice recognized as a SuperLawyers “Rising Star.” Karen and her husband Stephen, a law professor at the University of Texas, live in the Clarksville neighborhood of Austin with their daughter.
Karen is a regular contributor to the Employment Law Blog.
- Admitted: Texas, 2016; Maryland, 2009; District of Columbia, 2010; Virginia, 2012; US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 2010; US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2013; US District Court, District of Maryland, 2011; US District Court, District of Columbia, 2012; US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2012
- Education: Cornell University (B.A., 2006); University of Miami School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2009).
- Associate, Arent Fox, LLP, Washington, DC (2012-2016)
- Associate, Offit Kurman, PA, Bethesda, MD (2010-2012)
- Law Clerk, Chief Judge Mary Ellen Barbera, Court of Appeals of Maryland (2009-2010)
Awards and Honors
- Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2014-2016
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating, Martindale.com
- Texas Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Austin Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Austin Young Lawyers Association, Member
- Austin Mother Attorney Mentoring Association, Member
- Travis County Women’s Lawyers, Member