Rick Triplett practices in the fields of entertainment (specializing in film) and commercial real estate (specializing in transactions). Rick is an active contributor to continuing education for lawyers and other bar association activities.
Active in continuing legal education for many years, Rick has been a presenter, organizer and presiding officer of numerous courses, conferences and bar association discussion groups. He has served as chair of the Texas College of Real Estate Attorneys and as one of 16 members of the governing Council of the State Bar of Texas Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section. He is a member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, and has been included in The Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White Inc. for the past ten (10) consecutive years.
As for the firm that has become his professional home, Rick’s take is that it fits his personality and style perfectly. “It’s very collegial and I consider it my family. I’m given tremendous latitude to practice as I wish. This is not a firm that wants to take over the world or focus only on money. Instead it’s much more important here to do great work and serve our clients in the best and most cost efficient way possible.”
- Admitted to bar, 1978, Texas.
- Education: University of Texas (B.A., with highest and special honors, 1975; J.D., with high honors, 1977). Phi Beta Kappa; Order of the Coif.
- Austin Bar Association (Board of Directors, 1990-1992; Chairman, Real Estate Law Section, 1990-1992)
- State Bar of Texas
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Chair of the Texas College of Real Estate Attorneys (2003)
- The Real Estate Council of Austin, Board of Directors (1994-1995)
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White, Inc., Real Estate Law, (1995 – 2017).
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating, Martindale.com
- Texas Monthly, Super Lawyers®, published by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2011, 2016-2017
- Board of Directors, Austin Film Society; Vice President (2003-2005), President (2005-2006), Member (2000-2006; 2011-present)
- Board of Directors, SafePlace of Austin (1995-1999)
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Contributing Author, Inside the Minds: Entertainment and Media Law Client Strategies, Working with the Client’s Best Interests in Mind; 2007
- Panelist at SXSW Interactive Conference, Screenburn 06; “Can Austin be the Hollywood of Gaming?”, March 2006
- Author/Speaker at Texas State Bar Residential Real Estate Construction Law Course (Course Director, 2005)
- Author/Speaker at University of Texas Mortgage Lending Institute (Course Director, 2007)
- Author/Speaker at Texas State Bar Entertainment Law Course
- Author/Speaker at University of Texas Land Use Planning Conference (Course Director, 1998, 2001 and 2003)
- Author/Speaker at University of Texas Construction Law Conference
- Articles – Pretrial Detention of Juvenile Delinquents, AM. J. CRIM. L. (May 1978)
- Subcommittee Chairman for Texas State Bar project on Uniform Land Security Act (1989)
- Author/Speaker at State Bar of Texas Advanced Real Estate Drafting Course
- Author/Speaker at State Bar of Texas Advanced Real Estate Law Course (Course Director, 1997 and 2003)
- Author/Speaker at Travis and Bexar Counties Bar Association Real Estate Discussion Groups
- Course Director of Travis County Bar Association Real Estate Development Seminar (1995 and 1997)