A board certified attorney in estate planning and probate law for over thirty-five years, Kevin Holcomb has extensive experience and special expertise in many aspects of estate planning and estate and trust administration. His practice consists primarily of advising and representing individuals and families with their legacy planning and fiduciaries with their duties and responsibilities in the administration of trusts and estates. Known as a conscientious and trusted counselor who is knowledgeable in the law and dedicated to serving the best interests of his clients, Kevin has long enjoyed the respect of his peers and the Austin estate planning community for his integrity, professionalism and friendly manner.
His practice areas include:
- Federal gift, estate, and generation-skipping transfer tax planning, including preparation of complex and tax-planned wills and trusts
- Federal gift and estate tax return preparation
- Business succession, family entity, wealth preservation and asset protection planning, including formation of limited partnerships, limited liability companies and other family and business entities
- Charitable planning, including private foundations and charitable trusts
- Life insurance and retirement planning, including life insurance trusts
- Marital property planning, including preparation of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
- Planning for incapacity, including management trusts, powers of attorney and advance directives
- Gifts and transfers to minors, incapacitated persons and others, including custodianships, education trusts and spendthrift trusts
- Probate of wills and estate and trust administration
- Contested probate and trust matters, including will contests, trust and will construction suits, trust modification suits and fiduciary litigation
- Transfer tax controversies with Internal Revenue Service and private letter ruling requests
- Admitted to bar, 1971, Texas; 1976, U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas and U.S. Tax Court; 1981, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit.
- Board Certified, Estate Planning and Probate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization (since 1977).
- Education: University of Texas (B.A., 1968; J.D., 1971). Phi Delta Phi.
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel; Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation.
- Member: Austin Bar Association (Chairman, Estate Planning and Probate Section, 1989-1990); State Bar of Texas (Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section); Texas Academy of Probate and Trust Lawyers; Estate Planning Council of Central Texas (President 1980-1981)
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White, Inc., Trusts and Estates, (1995 – 2018)
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating, Martindale.com
- Texas Monthly, Super Lawyers®, published by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2018
- Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas (Director 1983-1991; President 1986-1987)
- Diocese of Austin Red Mass Committee (Chairman, 1992)