From owners to builders & those in-between,
we represent a wide variety of construction
clients through a range of matters.
Graves Dougherty has extensive experience representing construction industry clients including land and building owners, developers, home-builders, commercial and residential general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, lenders, engineers and architects in the construction industry in numerous types of construction related disputes, development projects, and transactions.
Our firm provides a broad range of litigation services in numerous types of construction related disputes. The firm has handled claims involving horizontal and vertical construction activities, including commercial and residential buildings, single family homes, roads, highways, wind farms, electric transmission systems, large diameter pipelines, and commercial and residential subdivisions.
The firm has represented construction clients in pre-litigation dispute resolution, arbitration proceedings, and state and federal court proceedings. Amounts in controversy have ranged from tens of thousands of dollars to tens of millions of dollars. Graves Dougherty lawyers have handled construction and design disputes involving:
- Structural and foundation design and construction
- Building envelope design and construction (including roofing and exterior wall cladding)
- High rise, commercial, hotel and residential structures
- Subdivision design and construction (including civil engineering)
- Mechanical engineering and construction of mechanical systems
- Water infiltration and mold
- Roads, bridges and transit systems
- Design and construction of large diameter pipelines
- Wind farms and energy transmission systems
- Drainage and flooding
- Various governmental and regulatory authorities
- Payment bonds
- Performance bonds
- Contract interpretation/enforcement
- Collections and statutory and constitutional lien claims (both perfection and removal)
CONSTRUCTION Transportation & Development
Graves Dougherty lawyers represent clients in a broad range of construction transaction documentation, development matters and corporate issues. Representative construction transaction and development experience includes:
- Preparation, negotiation and review of construction, development, utility, architecture, engineering and other contracts and agreements relating to all aspects of the construction and development process.
- Review and negotiation of insurance contracts to ensure proper insurance protection during and after construction process.
- Acquisition of site development permits, conditional use permits, building permits, sign permits, access licenses, driveway permits and other development, permits and approvals for numerous commercial and residential projects.
- Resolution of environmental issues such as permitting and remediation, professional liability in environmental assessment, response cost liability, storm water management, statutory compliance (CERCLA, Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, RCRA), and environmental liability.