Marianne W. NitschAssociate
Marianne’s practice focuses on civil litigation and representing both plaintiffs and defendants in a broad range of complex matters. Marianne has experience representing clients both in state and federal courts, throughout all stages of litigation.
Prior to law school, Marianne worked as a high school English teacher with Teach For America. In this role, she refined her ability to communicate complex ideas with clarity and precision.
- Admitted: Texas, 2015; U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, 2016; U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas, 2018; United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2018.
- Education: The University of Texas School of Law (J.D., with honors, 2015); Order of the Coif; Book Review Editor, Texas Law Review (2014-2015); Teaching Quizmaster; The University of Texas at Austin (B.B.A. with Honors in Finance & Business Honors program, 2010).
- Law Clerk to The Honorable Marina Garcia Marmolejo, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas (2015-2016).
- Associate, Baker Botts, Houston, Texas (2016-2017).
- Representation of mineral owners in trespass to try title and declaratory judgment actions;
- Representation of executor in fiduciary litigation;
- Defense of Austin-based companies against trademark infringement claims;
- Representation of owners and general contractors in disputes involving construction delays, project scope, and construction defects;
- Representation of municipalities in First Amendment litigation;
- Pro bono representation in various matters, including expunction and divorce proceedings, referred through GDHM’s on-going partnership with Volunteer Legal Services;
- Briefed and argued civil rights case before Fifth Circuit;
- Assistance in representation of broad spectrum of the firm’s clients.
- Fraud on the Classroom: Why State False Claims Acts Are Not the Solution to All Fraud on State and Local Governments, 93 Tex. L. Rev. 1009 (2015).
- State Bar of Texas
- Travis County Women Lawyers Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Barbara Jordan Inn of Court
- Orange Jackets Alumni Board, Treasurer/Fundraising Coordinator
- Meals on Wheels Central Texas, Volunteer
- Texas Exes Forty Acres Society, Member
- Teach For America, Recruitment Volunteer
- Women United, United Way for Greater Austin, Member