Alan Haywood is described by his peers as an unusually qualified lawyer with broad experience in all aspects of real estate, especially land use and development law. Consistently listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in Real Estate Law, he is a regular contributor to professional forums and seminars. He has been a member of several governmental task forces addressing regulatory and development issues, chaired The Real Estate Council of Austin’s Legislation and Ordinance Review Committee for a number of years, and was the Chair of the Citizens Advisory Committee for the 1997 total revision of the Travis County Subdivision regulations.
Alan is known as a thorough practitioner whose reliable work product always reflects dedication to his clients. He is a hard worker who normally spends at least part of every day of the week in the office. These traits may explain why most of Alan’s entrepreneurial, development and private interest clients, including other lawyers within his own firm, have trusted him with their legal matters for years.
An honors graduate of Southwestern College and the SMU School of Law, Alan has maintained academic and professional interests throughout his career as an often-published author, organizer and presenter of Continuing Legal Education coursework.
- Admitted to bar, 1973, Texas.
- Education: Southwestern College (B.A., summa cum laude, 1970); Southern Methodist University (J.D., cum laude, 1973). Order of the Coif; The Order of the Barristers.
- Lt., Judge Advocate General’s Corps, United States Naval Reserve, 1973-1976.
While representing clients, Alan Haywood has been involved in every cycle of the Texas commercial real estate market since the early 1970s. His extensive background is brought to bear on behalf of owners and developers in the planning, acquisition, financing, construction, leasing and management of office buildings, shopping centers, apartments, multi-use projects and industrial and business parks. His transactional experience has included:
- Owner/developer representation through the entire process of permitting, financing, constructing, leasing and sales of two-phased 550-acre master-planned, mixed-use business park containing two million square feet of completed hotel, retail and office warehouse, flex space in phase one and an additional three million square feet of mixed-use space in the second phase
- Developer representation in creating residential, commercial, industrial and mixed-used communities ranging in size from a several acres to several thousand acres, as well as representation of national and local homebuilders in acquiring and selling lots within multiple residential and commercial subdivisions
- Owner/landlord representation in ground leases for major hotel projects in the heart of downtown Austin and landlord and tenant representation for office, retail, restaurant and industrial uses
- Owner/developer representation in regulatory permitting for residential and commercial projects ranging from large estate lot subdivisions in unincorporated areas of rural counties to two-unit condominium urban infill projects in older, established residential areas
- Owner/developer representation with municipalities in confirming vested rights to continue projects in progress under state law
Representative clients have included:
- American Newland Associates/Newland Communities
- Highland Resources, Inc.
- KB Home – Austin
- Met Center NYCTEX, Ltd.
- Scott Young Properties
- Zydeco Development Company
- Member, American Bar Association – Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Environment, Energy and Resources Section, and State and Local Government Law Section
- Member, State Bar of Texas – Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Member, Austin Bar Association – Real Estate Section
- Member, Texas College of Real Estate Attorneys
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Officer (1973-1976), Judge Advocate General’s Corps, U. S. Navy Reserve
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White, Inc., Real Estate Law, 1991 – 2018
- Texas Monthly, Super Lawyers®, published by Thomson Reuters, 2004-2005, 2008-2013
- Distinguished Contribution Award (1997, 2002, 2003), The Real Estate Council of Austin, Inc.
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating, Martindale.com
- President’s Award (1997), Texas Capitol Area Builder’s Association
- Special Recognition Award (1990, 1992, 1995-1997), Austin Apartment Association
- Member, Executive Committee (2002-2004, 2005-2007) and Board of Directors (2000-2007), The Real Estate Council of Austin, Inc.
- Chair (1999, 2002-2003) and Member (1994-Present), Development Process Committee, The Real Estate Council of Austin, Inc.
- Chair (1997), Subdivision Regulations Advisory Committee, County of Travis, Texas
- Chair (1996), Preliminary Plan Expiration Task Force, The Real Estate Council of Austin, Inc.
- Member (1991-1995), Health, Safety and Environment Committee, Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce
- Member (1991), Austin Regional/Urban Design Assistance Team (RU/DAT)
- Member (1988-1991), Local Government Affairs Committee, Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce
- Member (1990), Site Plan Revision Task Force
- Member (1998-1990), Sign Ordinance Task Force
- Member (1985-1986), Zoning Ordinance Task Force
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Author/Co-Author ABA Probate and Property Magazine (1991); St. Mary’s Law Journal (1992); Texas Real Estate Law Reporter (1990); Austin Lawyer’s Journal (1990); Newsletter of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (1990); ABA Land Use Regulation Newsletter (1990); Texas Realtor (1994); Texas Tech Law Review (2001); Author/Speaker for the Travis County Bar Association; State Bar of Texas Advanced Real Estate Law (1991 and 1996); South Texas College of Law Advanced Real Estate Law Institute (1991); University of Texas Mortgage Lending Institute (1998); CLE International Commercial Real Estate Purchase and Sale Conference (1998); Real Estate Section of the Travis County Bar Association Austin Land Development Seminar (1993 through Present); University of Texas Conference on Land Use Planning Law (1997, 2000, 2002 and 2005).