Rod Edens, Jr.Of Counsel
Mr. Edens is an experienced business law attorney whose expertise includes counseling clients in private equity investments; financial restructuring; and acquisitions and mergers, including transactions involving operations in foreign countries.
Mr. Edens has had considerable experience in advising clients concerning business organizations that have or require a complex ownership structure, including organizations having foreign operations or ownership and situations where retention of control by the client or another party is a significant objective.
His practice encompasses a broad range of business law matters, including “business divorces” between partners, formation of businesses and financing transactions. He also represents clients in acquisitions and sales of existing businesses, including businesses in financial difficulty.
He has represented institutional and high net-worth investors in making significant investments in private equity funds, including buy-out funds, hedge funds, venture capital funds, emerging market funds and foreign funds.
- Admitted to bar: Texas, 1963.
- Education: The University of Texas (B.A. in Plan II honors program, 1960); The University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 1963; Phi Delta Phi).
- Sale of cable television system for $1.35 billion
- Various investments by a major Austin-based venture capital firm
- Represent large investment funds in making private equity investments
- Mergers and acquisitions in the oilfield equipment, radio, telecommunications and cable television industries with consideration ranging from several million dollars to several hundred million dollars
- Reorganization of a transcontinental telecommunications company
- Formation of a venture capital firm and related private placement
- Design the ownership structure of complex business organizations
- Provide advice and prepare offering and disclosure documents for private and public companies under the federal securities laws
- Member: State Bar of Texas (Securities Law and Corporation Law Committees, 1984-1996; Business Law Section); Texas Bar Foundation, 1993-1998; Austin Bar Association; American Bar Association
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White, Inc., Corporate Law, 1983 – 2017
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating, Martindale.com
- Selected by The Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White, Inc., as 2011 Austin Corporate Law Lawyer of the Year
- Texas Monthly, Super Lawyers®, published by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2004